Saturday 12 October 2013

The Circle Is Complete

Back to NYC



My time in the US is coming to an end. I found myself back in New York where I left Roger and started my tour with G adventures almost 2 months ago. The trip has taken me right around the country, through approximately 25 states visiting most of its highlights and meeting some incredible people.

My route around the US
 
 
As you can see on the map above we travelled from New Orleans up to Memphis to visit Elvis, continuing to Nashville to become country & western fans, a night in a place called Wytheville then into Washington which was pretty much closed down (all the tourist attractions anyway) due to the government shutdown then finally up the highway to return to New York. New Orleans was probably one of my favourite cities on the tour. The French Quarter is where all the action is and Bourbon St is at the epicentre. It is a 20 something's paradise full of bars, restaurants, live music and gentleman clubs, effectively a poor mans Vegas. During the day I did a swamp tour and saw some alligators and by night we attacked Bourbon St with full vigour, starting off by watching a replay of the AFL Grand Final then hitting many of the bars, walking along the st with our various cocktail concoctions.
 
 
Feeding the gators

 
 
 
If New Orleans was a night of sin and devilry then we made up for it in Memphis where we visited Graceland and paid our respect to one of the biggest and best singers and performers ever, Mr Elvis Presley. His house is actually much smaller than I imagined, no bigger than the average Australian home and I picked up an appreciation for his music that I never knew I had. Same story in Nashville where we spent the evening in the main st going to Honky Tonk bars and listening to country music which I surprisingly found very easy to get into. The people in Nashville just lived and breathed country music and they made the atmosphere fantastic singing every song at the top of their voices. In Memphis we also had the opportunity to drop into Sun Records Recording Studio where names like Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Roy Orbison were discovered. Music was the flavour of the last leg of the tour for sure.
 

Elvis' humble mansion


These outfits were in his racquetball court which was converted to a museum type room

R.I.P.

Elvis' plane aptly named after his only daughter

One of his many cars
 
Where Elvis amongst other artists hit it off
 
Rocking some tunes in the recording studio
 
Washington was not as exciting the second time I went and I spent most of my time just wondering and admiring the architecture. Unfortunately for most of the group the American government shutdown closed all the monuments, memorials and museums. Luckily I had already been there with Roger and this did not affect me. Arlington Cemetery was however open and we had the privilege of going there in the afternoon and watching the changing of the guard.
 
Arlington Cemetery


Changing of the guard

Back to the White House

Rocker & a photographer
 
 
I now find myself in New York enjoying some quality time alone, in a bed, not a tent. I have given myself a week in the big apple to catch up on emails, my blog, visas in preparation for Africa and other mundane activities as well as the usual touristy stuff. I am really enjoying the lifestyle here though, the hostel I spent most of my time at was just off Broadway near the top of Central Park and there is always plenty to do and many great places to eat :)
 
Packing up our tents for the final time

Circle is complete - back in New York
 
 
Another tour ended and another lot of hard goodbyes. Once again I have met a fantastic bunch of people and it doesn't get any easier saying goodbye. When you are together 24 hours a day you get to know everyone fairly well and I have definitely made some lifelong friends. Farewell to everyone I travelled with in the US, safe travels and good luck.
 

Final dinner with the group

 
 
 
more...
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome how you got to see so many places in such a short time frame, definately the way to go. If you ever return you can just pick the places you liked most.
    Sounds like you had an unreal time, gunna start reading up on yourafrican adventures now that i am sitting home with the kids under control (lol im dreaming there) haha will have to catch up wheb they are sleeping, just need to get them synchronized. Huh!!

    ReplyDelete