Thursday 14 August 2014

Many Partings

Finishing the Oasis Overland Trans Africa!


Well due to the fact our Truck was still delayed in Sudan our hand was forced, and instead of going through the scenic Western Desert towards Cairo we headed to the Rea Sea coast and stayed 2 nights in Harghada. Now one would probably consider 2 nights in a resort town a good trade off but to put it bluntly, Harghada is a bit of a hole. Egypt loves their all-inclusive hotels and for miles either side of the town were retreats and resorts as far as the eye could see. Despite the pretty picture I'm painting the city was not attractive and just didn't seem to have any soul like Aswan and Luxor. Catering to the European and Richer Cairo locals, Harghada was a dirtier, rougher around the edges version of Surfers Paradise.

Nick at the Giza Pyramids

Pyramid of Khafre

Our East Coast group

 
Leaving Harghada behind we drove to our final destination Cairo, unfortunately not in the comfort of Nala our overland truck, but a mini-bus with a maniac driver who sat on 110km p/h the whole way and did not like the concept of only using 1 lane. We made it to our hotel in the afternoon after a few stops by the confused driver who was asking locals where our hotel might be and settled into what was probably our classiest hotel of the trip. If the power didn't go out 4-5 times per day (which wasn't their fault), I may not have even left my room. Our time in Cairo included the must see items, the Giza Pyramids and the Cairo Museum. The touts were not as bad as I had heard and although there was a few tourists around I was still able to get some good shots and walk around without too much trouble. By the end of the day I was exhausted and probably suffering sunstroke but we had our final dinner of the tour to celebrate reaching the end.



 
 
From Cairo it was time to start saying goodbyes, 1 in particular a lot harder than the others. 10 of us had done the entire trip together and everyone on the truck is now like family. Living together and so close to each other every day for that long could be hard at times but I know the minute I am away from them I will miss them all.  For 9 of us however the journey continued for a little longer as we decided that a relaxing time at Dahab would be in order before everyone went home, or in my case before I joined my next overland trip in Tajikistan. Dahab was awesome, nothing more needs to be said. Its as relaxed as Ozzy Osbourne after a giant spliff, the restaurants that hug the waterline hang over the water and are covered in cushions so you can just wilt the day away drinking and eating to your hearts content. We did manage to make our way down to the Blue Hole, a famous diving site which is basically just a big hole right on the shore. It is 100m deep and every year divers die here as depths and time can be a bit deceptive down there. Not being trained in diving and not wanting to die just quite yet I opted for snorkelling instead.


Luke getting some goodbye lovin'


Its not goodbye, but cya later
 
The Blue Hole, Dahab

 


 
The final goodbyes came sooner than I wanted. I left the final members of our group in the late evening of my 30th birthday after celebrating the night before. A silent taxi ride breezed me down to Sharm El Sheikh where my 24 hour flight day took me up to Cairo>Istanbul>Dushanbe. Here I have met up with my new group that will be taking me on my final leg of my trip and driving me home to Australia. Hopefully all my luggage can turn up before we leave Dushanbe at 8 tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment